Friday, January 22, 2010

Nash's Birth Day Story

So, it's taken quite a while to get this post up - we've been quite busy around here! I'll do my best and start from the beginning...

Wednesday January 13th was my regularly scheduled weekly appointment with Dr. Crenshaw. My blood pressure was slightly elevated and had been for the past couple of weeks, but other than that there were no reasons for concern. I returned to work after my appointment and got a headache that afternoon - which I contributed to a sinus cold I have been dealing with since returning home from Christmas in Indiana. Wednesday afternoon my BP at the nurses office wasn't great...so I tried to take it easy Wednesday night. Thursday afternoon, my headache was not any better and my left arm was oddly numb - and my BP was once again elevated. By Friday January 15th- all of these things were still persistent and my BP over lunch was 138/84. I called my Dr's office to see what they thought and they worked me in that afternoon. By the time I got to the office, my BP was 148/110. Dr. Crenshaw was not enthusiastic about that and knowing my sister Jessi's history with HELLP syndrome - decided that it was "baby day". Imagine the shock on our faces - I totally expected him to send me home with a "rest on your left side for the weekend" and return the next Wednesday for my scheduled appointment. Not only that, but Dr. Crenshaw had Matt take me straight to the hospital - no time for going home, showering, grabbing my bags, etc. So - off we went to have a baby!

We arrived at the hospital, checked in, and the nurses started my IV and started pitocin immediately. My sweet Aunt Becky came to sit with me while Matt quickly drove home to get our bags for our hospital stay. Soon after Matt left, they drew some blood to run more tests. The results of the blood work were not so great - HELLP syndrome. Elevated liver enzymes and a low platelet count - combined with my high blood pressure. So...they began to increase the pitocin every 10 minutes and began magnesium sulfate to keep the toxemia under control. At this point, I was very anxious for Matt to return! The magnesium sulfate was awful - fire running through my veins is the only way I know to describe it. Sparing other details - we'll just say that it made me extremely nauseous. A few minutes after starting the mag, the Dr. came in to break my water. This all happened so fast - it was quite unbelievable - not to mention that Matt was missing it all! I was very anxious for his return!

Matt arrived back with our bags and my contractions were now 3 minutes apart and getting stronger. The nurses informed me as soon as we checked in that I could have my epidural at any time since I was already 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I wanted to wait at least a bit before getting the epidural - I wanted to be 100% sure I wanted the drugs. After about 30 minutes of hard contractions - I knew if I waited much longer I wouldn't be able to sit still through the epidural and I didn't want to be one of "those" patients. The epidural was amazing and I was instantly calmed. So calm I took a two hour nap!

Around 10:00 I woke up and to my surprise was 9 cm (after falling asleep at 3 cm!) but Nash was still floating and not engaged. Dr. Diane Long (Dr. Crenshaw's partner who was on call that evening) said that we would wait out another hour of contractions to let them work the baby down. When she returned around 11:00, I was no longer 9 cm but 8 cm and Nash was still not engaged. She gave us (me, nurses, Nash) another hour to get things moving down in the right direction or we were going to have to talk about 'other options' (cesarean). I wasn't really into that, and the nurses knew this - so off they went positioning me in attempt to get Nash to move down. To our pleasure, when Dr. Long returned at midnight - I was completely ready. 10 cm, completely effaced, and Nash was in perfect position - it was about to be baby time!

Matt called my parents a few minutes after we're realizing we get to meet our sweet kiddo, Matt called my parents who were on their way from Indiana. They were just getting off of the highway in Memphis as I was beginning to push - Matt's last words to my daddy were "Joe, hustle". From that point, I was concentrating on pushing with the help of nurses and Matt. In between contractions, I continually was looking for my mom to walk in the door of labor and delivery (the nurses had strict instructions that no matter what point I was at - my mom should be allowed through those doors!). The door would open and all I could say was "Mom? Mom?" and it was the towel lady. Then the trash guy. I asked Matt "Who next, Santa Claus?". Seriously - the number of people in and out of the room during the most action filled hour of the night - it was quite ridiculous.

So, after about 25 minutes of pushing - I hear the Dr. say that the head was out and I look at Matt who had tears in his eyes. Just as this is happening, the door opens - and my mom walks through. One more push and at 12:53 a.m. on January 16 2010, and Nash Thomas Murphy joined the world. By the time he was on my belly, my mom was by my bedside and Matt was cutting the cord (which was wrapped twice around Nash's neck). Those 5 minutes were absolutely the most amazing 5 minutes of my life to date. I am sure that every new mom says that, but seeing the look on Matt's face and the tears in his eyes, hearing Nash's sweet cry for the first time, and seeing him stare into my eyes and knowing that I was his mommy - pretty incredible and I am so thankful that God brought him into our lives safe and sound. A few minutes later, Daddy and Aunt Becky were able to come back and meet him. Daddy was definitely pretty proud of his new grandson, you could see it in his eyes - even though he may not say it out loud. Aunt Becky just kept repeating how "perfect" he was. We completely agree!

We were able to cuddle with him for about 20 minutes before they took him away and cleaned him up. He weighed 5 pounds 12.7 ounces and was 18 inches long. We then continued to cuddle until about 3 a.m. when they took him to the nursery for some more tests and screening - Matt went out to get some food for him and my mom. I was still on the magnesium sulfate and therefore still couldn't have anything to eat or drink. They wanted to keep me on the mag for 12 hours after birth - but my vision started to get very blurry and I was very dizzy...so they 'broke the rules' and disconnected the mag from my IV around 4:30 a.m. It was instant relief!

I was still in labor/delivery/recovery when Frank and Annie arrived around 8:00 a.m. They also drove straight through from Pennsylvania when they heard the news of Nash's pending arrival. It was quite a sight to watch them meet their first grandchild and see Matt acting as 'daddy' for the first time. We ooohed and ahhed at Nash Thomas until about 9:30 a.m. when they had my postpartum room ready. Matt and I managed a nap that afternoon before the barage of visitors began - but we wouldn't have had it any other way! We were extremely excited to show off our new little love and proud to call ourselves his parents.

We were in the hospital until Monday afternoon around 1:00. We were able to get some much needed rest during the nights - Nash would sleep in the nursery between feedings and his sweet nurses (which we loved!) would bring him in the room to eat. The trip home was pretty surreal - knowing that this little man is in our lives forever and he is our sole responsibility. Quite incredible and a journey we're very excited about.

Frank and Annie were able to stay through Wednesday evening of that week, while my parents drove home a few hours after we got settled back in at home. Annie and Frank were amazing while they were here - cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc - not to mention the great company. We were sad to see them leave but are already looking forward to their return trip! My mom flew back the Friday after Frank and Annie left and has been amazing as well - continuing the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc frenzy. My floors have never been so free of Roscoe dog hair! My mom leaves on Tuesday morning which I'm sure will be an emotional experience - although I know it has to happen sometime!

There are many more pictures and news to share, but this post is quite long at this point...I'll stop here. Posts to come - first week at home, Roscoe's adjustment, a visit from Nash's aunties, uncles, and cousins!


Ready or not - here we are!

Calling my parents - anxiously awaiting their arrival!


My special card in labor and delivery - from my buddy James Elliott
If you can't read it...it says:
"Have fun with your baby..will you show it to me?" Too sweet!

Happy Birth Day Nash Thomas Murphy!

5 pounds, 12.7 ounces, 18 inches
and PERFECT

1 comment:

  1. So amazing!!! I need a whole box of tissues now!! Thanks for sharing. I felt the same way...best day of my life to day!

    ReplyDelete