Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quick Update - First Childbirth Class, 32 Week Dr. Appointment, and Thanksgiving Plans

Quick update here...no pics to upload though, sorry!

Last Thursday Matt and I attended our first childbirth class...nothing really about "birthing" during the first class, more of an introduction/anatomy lesson/how you're feeling right now discussion. No videos either, which begin next week. There are 10 couples in our class, one of which I happen to know from work. Out of the 10 couples, we are the only ones who have not found out the sex of the baby. We thought that there would surely be at least one other couple who was waiting to be surprised, but not so. We have three more classes...Dec 3, 10, and 17.

My 32 week appointment with Dr. Crenshaw was this morning, everything looks good. (Thankfully...especially after my visit to Labor and Delivery yesterday to have a non stress test...Nash decided it was cool to not move or kick me for about 6 hours yesterday! Everything was fine, and he/she made up for the lack of kicking last night in my sleep, I assure you.) I've only gained 1 pound since my last appointment for a total of 17 pounds so far. I'm hoping to not gain more than 10 pounds in these last two months, which seems pretty reasonable to me. I think the GD will help keep my weight gain under control for sure! Dr. Crenshaw doesn't plan to have any additional testing or monitoring done for me as a direct result of the GD unless I'm unable to control my blood sugar levels with my diet. He said that most pregnant women with GD who can control with their diet do not have much more risk for complications than a "normal" pregnant woman. So he'll just watch my blood sugar levels and the size of the baby to determine if any action needs to be taken. He also reassured me that as long as I'm healthy and baby is healthy, that he has no issues with letting me carry Nash in my belly until 41 weeks (hopefully he/she decides to come before that!). I'd really rather let things happen naturally than forcing an induction with meds, etc. Lets see...what else? I'm good to travel still, no issues there. I'm measuring right on target (between 31 and 32 weeks) and Nash's heartbeat was 140. Once again, Nash didn't really care to much for the doppler probe and was kicking it every time the nurse tried to move it. Cute little personality, huh? :) Our next appointment is December 9 - we've graduated to the "every two weeks" appointments now. Crazy!

We're flying out tonight around 7 pm for Newark, NJ where Frank and Annie will pick us up and take us home to Pottsville. We're pretty excited to see everyone and get some yummy food in our bellies (in limited carb portions for me, of course). Matt has this lovely plan to go for a 15 mile run tomorrow on a road named "Tumbling Run" (i.e. narrow, scary, dangerous, curvy mountainous road). I'm quite nervous about it and begging him not to with my "baby needs a daddy" ploy. Not sure it's working! We'll be having Thanksgiving at his cousin Jane's house tomorrow which is always fun - a house full of adorable kiddos and laughter. Love it. On Saturday, Annie is throwing us a baby shower - how sweet is she? I really am so lucky to have in-laws that I love spending time with! We'll be in Pottsville until early Tuesday morning when we fly back at 6 am to be able to make it to work on time. I'm sure we may be regretting that decision when our alarms go off at 4 am on Tuesday morning!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and is able to share it with those you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment