Wednesday, December 15, 2010

these darn, stupid, awful, pesky ear infections...and RSV

My poor little dude is so sick....went to the Dr. this morning for yet another ear infection.  I'm a pro at spotting them and diagnosing now...if only I had a handy dandy ear scope to validate my suspicions and the ability to write scripts.  So, no surprises when Dr. Jay confirmed the double ear infection....but I was completely surprised when he suggested we test Nash for RSV, and even MORE surprised when the test came back positive.

All kiddos I've ever known with RSV have ended up hospitalized for some reason - either trouble breathing (wheezing and not getting enough oxygen) or severe dehydration.  I immediately started a minor freak out with Dr. Jay - who quickly reassured me that Nash should be just fine....we just have to watch him closely.  We were put on another antibiotic for the ear infection (another z pack), but there's nothing really to prescribe him to help the RSV.  Because it's a virus, it just has to run it's course....we can treat the symptoms, but nothing to actually help it go away. 

Because it's so contagious...he's not allowed back at daycare for 10 days.  Luckily my work/boss is very understanding and I'll be working from home as my little guy recovers from this.  Hopefully he turns a corner by Christmas and feels better sooner than later.

Back to the ears...Dr. Jay suggested we make an appointment to have an ENT consult.  The Dr. he recommended was also recommended to us by the parents of a kiddo in Nash's class...so we feel good about our decision.  His consult is December 30 when we return from PA.  Dr. Jay and Dr. Patterson thinks that we will most likely end up with tubes - and that it's just a matter of when we get can it scheduled.  Nash will be the 6th kiddo in his class (of 6!) to get tubes this year.  What peer pressure, right?  ha.  Hey, whatever will help him feel better, hear better, learn to speak better - and keep us out of the Dr.'s office 3 times a month - we're all for it!

Alright...my sick little guy is waking up from a nap....gonna go scoop him up and get some extra cuddles in today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment